Metra Fare Hike By the Numbers: Will You Still Buy the 10-Ride Ticket?
Metra's board voted to drop the discount on its 10-ride ticket. Now it costs the same as 10 individual fares, instead of nine. Tell us what you think of the decision. Plus, Patch breaks down the numbers surrounding the increase.
If there's one thing you can say about the increase in Metra's 10-ride ticket, it's that you get what you pay for.
The Metra board of directors voted 8-2 on Friday, Nov. 16, to make the 10-ride ticket cost as much as 10 individual tickets, ABC 7 News reports. Currently, the price of the 10-ride ticket is equal to nine individual tickets.
The increase goes into effect Feb. 1.
Because no one demanded it, Patch breaks down the numbers surrounding the 10-ride fare hike.
How Much the Increase Will Cost Southland Commuters
Metra fares are dependent on distance. Here's how much that 10th ticket will cost for a commuter to travel from his or her home station to downtown Chicago.
- Beverly, Morgan Park: $4.25
- Oak Lawn, Palos Hills: $4.75
- Oak Forest, Tinley Park, Homewood-Flossmoor, Palos: $5.25
- Mokena, Orland Park, Olympia Fields: $5.75
- New Lenox, University Park: $6.25
- Laraway Road (New Lenox), Joliet: $6.75
How Much Are Commuter Fares Across the Country
What are other commuters paying to make it to work? Here's a look at fares in other metro areas. For comparison, the distance between downtown Chicago to Orland Park is 26 miles.
|Oakland to Fremont (California)||Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)||24 miles||$4.05|
|Washington, D.C. to Rockville, Md.||Metro||20 miles||$5.75 (during peak hours)|
|Manhattan to Staten Island (New York)||Staten Island Ferry||23 miles||Free|
SOURCE: Transit authorities
Things You Could Give Up to Pay for That 10th Ticket
- Grande Gingerbread Latte at Starbucks: $4.75
- Hamburger at Five Guys: $5.59
- Two Chili Cheese Dogs from Portillo's: $5.98
- Renting five Redbox DVDs for a day (or one Redbox DVD for five days): $6
- 12-inch hot roast beef sandwich at Subway: $6.75
- Five of the 14 tracks on One Direction's Take Me Home album: $6.45
YOUR TURN: Will you still buy the 10-ride ticket? Or will you just buy nine individual fares? Take our poll and share your thoughts in the comments section.
Get Patched in! Sign up for our newsletters.