Five teenagers will be arraigned later this month on various charges after a Chicago teen was shot and killed in a Chicago Heights park, a spokesman with the Cook County State's Attorney's Office confirmed Wednesday, Dec. 5.
Mikah Darko, 17, was shot near 15th and Hanover streets and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. Witnesses told police Darko was in the park when two men approached him and started shooting.
The grand jury handed down an indictment for the five defendants on Friday, Nov. 30 in a Markham courtoom. The accused include:
- Rhonzell F. Ard, 17, of Chicago Heights, in custody on $2 million bond
- Joshua A. Dean, 19, of Chicago in custody
- Derrell J. Edwards, 18, of Chicago in custody on $500,000 bond ; charged with armed violence, possession of a firearm by a gang member, six counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and mob action.
- Cortez Hurst, 18, of Chicago Heights in custody on $2 million bond; charged with armed violence, delivery of concealed firearm to a minor, theft, three counts of unlawful use of a weapon and mob action.
- Otis Pruitt, 19, of Chicago in custody on $200,000 bond and mob action.
All five are scheduled to be arraigned on Dec. 18 in Markham.