We now have a much clearly picture of what at least part of the ballot will look like for 2nd District voters this February, with 17 Democrats and five Republicans having filed their petitions before the Jan. 7 deadline.
The list has plenty of notable South Suburban names, including state Sen. Toi Hutchinson, whose office is in Chicago Heights. Hutchinson announced her candidacy in a Local Voices post on Patch and has been considered a front-runner by some.
Then there's former U.S. Rep. Debbie Halvorson, of Crete. She lost to former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. in last year's primary election for the same seat. Are her chances any better this year?
Former state Rep. Robin Kelly, of Matteson, is another contender. She recently left her position as chief administrative officer for Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and has been focusing her efforts on the race.
On the Republican side, there is James H. Taylor Sr., of Bradley, who ran against Brian Woodworth in last year's primary. Lenny McAllister, of Maywood, is running as a Republican, though some of his views lean more to the left than the right.
Of the 22 candidates, 14 are in the South Suburbs. Who will you be voting for on Feb. 26?
- Toi Hutchinson, of Olympia Fields
- Anthony Williams, of Dolton
- Joyce Washington, of Chicago
- Patrick O. Brutus, of Chicago
- Ernest B. Fenton, of Markham
- Robin Kelly, of Matteson
- Anthony Beale, of Chicago
- Mel Reynolds, of Dolton
- Fatimah N. Muhammad, of Chicago
- Larry D. Pickens, of Chicago
- Clifford J. Eagleton, of Harvey
- Victor Jonathan, of Country Club Hills
- Gregory Haynes, of Lynwood
- Debbie Halvorson, of Crete
- Napoleon Harris, of Flossmoor
- Charles Rayburn, of Dolton
- John Blyth, of Chicago
- Lenny McAllister, of Maywood
- Paul McKinley, of Chicago
- James H. Taylor Sr., of Bradley
- Eric M. Wallace, of Flossmoor
- Beverly E. Reid, of Chicago
Sign up for daily news alerts:
Join the discussion on Facebook: