St. Kieran School in Chicago Heights is raking in the votes in a national competition that could get it $150,000.
The phone company is giving $1 million to schools to continue improving the education of the students, and is asking communities vote for their schools by visiting the nearest U.S. Cellular store, picking up a voting code and entering it online at uscellular.com. The top vote-getting school will get $150,000, and 17 runner-ups will get $50,000 a piece.
U.S. Cellular recently released a list of the current top 100 vote-getting schools, 19 of which are in Illinois. St. Kieran nabbed 29th place on the list and hopes to climb into the top 18 to win at least $50,000, with the help of Heights residents.
Voting has already started and runs through October 21.
The full Top 100 school list for this week can be seen in the attached PDF.
Illinois schools with the most votes in the country:
3. St. Damian Elementary School (Oak Forest)
7. Aqsa Islamic School (Bridgeview)
8. Conley Elementary School (Algonquin)
9. Columbia Central School (Steger)
29. St Kieran School (Chicago Heights)
33. Addison Trail High School (Addison)
40. St John Brebeuf Grade School (Niles)
50. St Michael School (Orland Park)
51. South Suburban Christian Academy (Matteson)
62. St Francis De Sales School (Lake Zurich)
63. Holy Ghost School (Wood Dale)
66. Niedringhaus Elementary School (Granite City)
70. St Therese School (Chicago)
76. Wildwood Elementary School (Chicago)
80. Edna Keith Elementary School (Joliet)
82. Centennial Elementary School (Polo)
91. St Theresa Grade School (Palatine)
92. Nathan Hale Elementary School (Lansing)
100. Bristol Bay Elementary School (Yorkville)